Frequently Asked Questions about Tybee Island
1. Are Dogs allowed on Tybee Island Beaches?
No, Tybee’s beaches are home to sea turtles and many species of birds so dogs are not allowed. But there are many local lodgings, restaurants, and attraction that do. City of Tybee provides Dog Parks behind City Hall in Memorial Park and next to Rivers End campground. And of course you can walk your dog around Tybee’s neighborhood and business district while on a leash.
2. Can you drink on Tybee Island Beaches?
Yes, Tybee Island has an open container ordinance where drinks can be taken on the beach and to-go cups can be taken out of bars. Please keep in mind you can not have glass containers on the beach for any reason. Tybee Beach Rules
3. What celebrities live-in Tybee Island?
New York Times best selling author Mary Kay Andrews lives on Tybee Island.
4. Are there Alligators on Tybee Island?
Yes, there are Alligators on Tybee Island. Occasionally you will hear about one swimming in the ocean.
5. Do you have to pay to get on Tybee Island?
No, you do not have to pay to come onto Tybee. Please be mindful that Tybee is a Pay-to-Park community. There is no free parking.
6. What is the best time to visit Tybee Island?
Depends on what you like. The spring and summer draw large crowds to the island. Fall and winter are a lot less crowded and the weather is still very nice.
7. Are Cars allowed on Tybee Island Beach?
No motorized vehicles are allowed on Tybee’s beaches. See Tybee’s Beach Rules here.
8. What part of Tybee Island is the best?
The whole island! North Beach and Mid Island are more family friendly and quiet while the South End has more of a party atmosphere. Find out more about Tybee’s Beaches.
9. How cold does it get Tybee Island?
Tybee’s winter weather is very mild with winter temps averaging from the 50/60’s during the day and 30/40’s at night. Look at Tybee’s Weather here.
10. What do I need to do to host a special event on Tybee?
Whether it’s a beach wedding, a festival, movie filming or a family reunion on city property you will need a permit. Find Special Event Planning information here.